Wednesday 30 January 2008

Release me

We started this joint blog a few weeks ago, and then hit writers block. A little early for it given the amount of content we have put up. So after some gentle coaxing from Shanks, I decided to get my digits active.

While settling on a topic to start on my first blog I was browsing through Itunes. Yes, I buy my music online! This got me thinking on the many musical influences in my life. I love music, amongst many other things. I treat music like food, experiment and you always pick a few gems. Today's pick is Alison Krauss an American blues-grass country singer and fiddle player. Wiki has an interesting read on her for all those interested.

Music was something we were brought up with at home. My mum is a big Kishore Kumar and carpenters fan, she introduced me to the melodic tunes of Karen and Richard Carpenter. My dad was at the other end of the spectrum, he is a big Doors fan. I remember spending weekday evenings lounging about listening to roadhouse blues while dad nursed his evening tipple. I woke up many mornings to the rich voice of M S Subbulakshmi singing Venkateswara Suprabhatam. I never really appreciated her voice, i put it down to age and the fact that she was my wake up call at 6 every morning. Either way music has always been an integral part of my life.

Music is food for the soul, poetry and harmony in a few rare instances

I am the wilderness locked in a cage
I am a growing force you kept in place
I am a tree reaching for the sun
Please don't hold me down
Please don't hold me down

I am a rolling wave without the motion
A glass of water longing for the ocean
I am an asphalt flower breaking free but you keep stopping me
Release me
Release me

No comments: