Monday 2 March 2009

Monday musings


I spent last Monday getting up at an unearthly hour and tagging along with S into the city. I usually wake up at an unearthly hour to get ready for my driving lesson but this monday I had to apply for a schengen visa. Inspite of leaving early I had a long queue of approximately 30 people ahead of me waiting to apply for their visas. After a considerable wait I was done with my work and I was suitably famished. I called S and tempted him with dosa at selfridges. I had heard about the Indian spread at their garden cafe food hall a year ago, but we some how never managed to try it. I browsed around oxford street while S made his way to join me from chancery lane. It took us a while to figure out the garden cafe was on the upper most floor but we finally managed to get there. The food spread was decent, they had masala dosa/chicken dosa/ channa masala/ fresh naan straight off the tandoor/biryani/veg/nonveg thali. I settled for the chicken thali and S decided on a masala dosa.


The masala dosa was very generously sized and accompanied with sambhar and chutney. The thali had the customary raita, pickle, chicken curry, paneer, kali dal, rice and fresh warm naans. The meal as a whole was decent, the sambhar and chutney were terrible, stay away, the dosa was decent. The thali was great except for the paneer. I love these quick lunches with S in the city on my days off. It breaks up the day and gives me company for a few short hours. I'm enjoying mondays off while they last.



3 comments:

fortyfiveminutes said...

Oh the joys of the project that is getting a Schengen visa! Did you apply at the French consulate? Probably not, because you seem to have got it all done with minimal pain.

P.S. That spread looks divine. Must give it a try when I'm in those parts next.

Anonymous said...

Chinchu,
That spread looks yuuuuuummmmmmmm..Today happens to be one of those saturdays i fast, and seeing this pic makes my stomach growl..
BTW what is a chicken dosa?
Meena aunty

Chinchu said...

Forty Five minutes- I applied at the VFS centre, they house staff for Belgium, Spain and Netherlands.It was painless but the scrooges just gave me a 3 week visa. My previous schengan from the portuguese embassy was for 6 mths. Its all a money making racket with these guys. I have heard the Frogs are painful.

Meena aunty- Chicken dosa is just a normal crisp dosa with a dry chicken curry filling :). Its yum.