Sunday 7 December 2008

Apuppa



My apuppa(grandfather) passed away this afternoon in Bombay. We all knew he was on his last legs but it was a thought I did not want to accept. He had a nasty fall and his frail body could not keep up with his active mind and recover. I know he suffered in hospital this last month, for a man who has never spent more than a few days of his life in hospital being on a ventilator with numerous tubes stuck to his arm must have been scary and difficult to cope with. He was mobile and active till his fall a month ago albeit a little frail. Finally this afternoon he stopped fighting and let go. He died peacefully at the same hospital where I was born.

I wept this morning when my parents passed on this news to me. I wept with relief that he was not suffering and he had gone to a better place peacefully. I wept because I will be in Bombay next Sunday and I wont get a bear hug from my short frail apuppa. I wept because I had lost my biggest supporter, in his eyes I was a superstar. I wept because my mother had to watch him suffer for a month and I was not there to help. I wept for two children who have lost a father and four grandchildren who have lost an apuppa. I wept for my grandmother who will be lost without him even though this may all take a little while to register. Old age can be cruel when you have an active mind but your body gives up. I don't think any of us can complain about his life, he led a good life, he achieved so much in his life to make us all proud and be an inspiration and at 89 years of age his life was long and fruitful.

I wept because I wanted to see him for one last time. I know he is looking out for all of us from a better place. In true apuppa style he has asked for his ashes to be spread at the Gateway of India in Bombay a city he loved.


3 comments:

Pooja Nair said...

I was afraid this is what i would read when i saw the topic of your post.

I had really enjoyed meeting your appupa in Mumbai. I know exactly what you mean...

May his soul rest in peace.

take care chinchi C

30in2005 said...

I have to add you to my bloglist - not sure what the procrastination is about.

The loss of a grandparent is never ever easy and no amount of time can prepare you for the grief that follows. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you know this but the things to hold on to are all the fantastic memories you have with him and the knowledge that he is in a better place and still, always smiling down on you.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear of your loss. What a beautiful photograph. May his soul rest in peace.