Wednesday 21 November 2012

Festival of lights






This festival of lights was spent scrubbing the house and dotting it with my ever growing collection of tea-lights and diyas. Diwali, the festival of lights holds a soft spot in my heart. In bombay we spent the week buying noisy crackers that my father probably enjoyed as much as my brother and I. Packaging sweets in several boxes and running to the different apartments in our building exchanging sweets. I always knew which apartments kept the choicest goodies and which aunty would give me my favorite jalebis.

This was my first Diwali in our not so new home anymore. I spent the actual day running into the city to meet friends for dinner at twenty four. The views from the twenty fourth floor of the city with everything alight was london's version of Diwali for me. To complete my week of diwali celebrations we met over the weekend, all the usual suspects and more, played teen patti, ate excessively and ate even more the next morning. It was as Diwali should be, filled with the lights of london, food, friends and family.

I hope your Diwali was filled with light.


No comments: