Thursday 22 November 2012

One of the bucket list, how it started.

 S and I crossed 10 years of marriage, which obviously got us thinking of notching things of the bucket list. South america had always been on the cards, but it never happened. We decided 10 years should warrant making it happen. So of we flew to Peru, with only two backpacks worth of clothes, which was a miracle given my inability to travel light.



 Our first destination was Lima, we reached early evening after a short detour via Amsterdam. Our excellent travel agents, JLA had sorted out a guide and car to take us to our hotel in Miraflores. Language is an issue, I could not survive on " hablo un poco de espanol" so our guide Janet helped us communicate although some bits were lost in translation. I got my first view of the Pacific and I was surprised at how much this bit of the city reminded me of Marine drive in Bombay. It was packed with hip kids and bunches of tourist. The marina in Miraflores is swanky and urban and the typical tourist in me was a bit disappointed, I wanted ancient ruins and the exotic of south america.

Miraflores Marina

The snow capped Andes peeping through the clouds


Children's day festivity in Cusco




The next morning we flew to Cusco situated at a height of 11, 200 feet. We had read up on altitude sickness and obviously pooh poohed it.This city was everything I imagined it to be, old, decaying, full of history and warm people who looked just like me. We reached our hotel and were raring to have a nose around the city. As luck would have it, we had arrived during Cusco's children's day festivity. We saw children dressed in beautiful colours dancing to a glorious beat in the city centre, while S and I slowly struggled to catch our breath. We still thought nothing of our laboured breaths and headed off to Chicha the brainchild of Peru's Gaston Acurio and his German wife Astrid. We tried all forms of exotic food, washed them down with some of the best pisco sours in town and generally made merry. As the meal came to an end and we started our slow walk home, altitude sickness hit both of us. To cut a long story short, it was an uncomfortable walk to the hotel, we spent the entire afternoon and the next morning downing coca tea and sleeping. By the second day our bodies were gradually getting acclimatised to the high altitude and I didn't feel like I had a permanent hangover with smokers lungs. I did spend the rest of my trip with mildly cyanosed lips but everything else seemed to function well.


Valley Sagredo 


Cuy Pequinés - guinea pig on a beetroot pancake



We then headed off by road to the sacred valley, spent the night at the exquisite Pakiramtapu nestled between the mountains with the ruins of Ollantaytambo overlooking us. The next morning we got onto the Vista Dome to head towards Aguas Calientes the closest town to Macchu Picchu. Most people on the Inca trail skip our rail journey and start a four day journey towards Macchu Picchu. We however decided that our ripe age warranted a bit of comfort. Macchu Picchu was a half an hour journey via bus from Aguas Calientes. The road was narrow and the route was packed with large buses navigating tight spaces at 7,970 feet. Its safe to say if you are an adrenaline junky sit by the window seat and watch yourself climb precariously along the edge. If like me you are petrified of heights, hold on to someone and look away from the window. In spite of the alarming increase in perspiration I could not peel my eyes away from the stunning views that followed. I now understand why the Incas worshipped nature, because in all its glory Macchu Picchu is truly spiritual. Many things have been written and will continue to be written about this wonder of the world, words though will never do it justice. At the end  all I wanted to do was bottle the day up and bring it home with me.


Pakiratampu, a little oasis



Macchu Picchu with Huayna Picchu ( Little Mountain ) behind it.










No comments: