Tuesday 17 June 2008

Ray's Jazz cafe- Foyles




This Saturday after our culturally enriched afternoon at the British library we were both a tad peckish and needed our daily caffeine hit. S needed to find a book on multivariate blah blah and I wanted a good restorative dentistry book so we headed of to Foyles at Charing cross. I love book stores, I am not a voracious reader, I don't have the time for it but I do enjoy a good read when time permits. I love the musty smell of paper and the silence you step into in a book store. We parted ways, S went to explore his multivariate blah blah section and I got comfortable in the basement in a small dental section.

As hunger set in again, we headed towards the in house coffe shop. S had heard nice things about the cafe at Foyles . Now most book stores have nondescript Starbucks/Costas with elevator music playing and are generally speaking quite generic in nature. I was not expecting a tiny room squashed to the brim with every possible jazz Cd with a small corner that could barely seat 20 people housing the cafe. Ray's Jazz cafe at Foyles was a revelation, you enter a little jazz box with soul and coffee wafting through the room. Seating consists of small log boxes cozily placed to maximise the space. There was a small queue for seating unsurprisingly and we managed to find a spot by the window sill which served as our table. We sat listening to ella, drinking coffee, indulging in a decadent chocolate truffle and carrot cake while watching the world go buy along Charing Cross road.



No comments: